Chief Scott T. Lachance
100 Union St.,
Attleboro, MA 02703
For Immediate Release
Friday, Nov. 16, 2018
Contact: Benjamin Paulin
Email: [email protected]
Attleboro Fire Department Offers Holiday Cooking Safety Tips
ATTLEBORO — As residents prepare for Thanksgiving festivities next week, Fire Chief Scott T. Lachance and the Attleboro Fire Department would like to provide several important cooking safety tips.
“Thanksgiving should be a joyous time for loved ones to gather and celebrate, and we hope residents will be alert when cooking,” Chief Lachance said. “Please consider these tips, and double-check that all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are functioning properly so that you will be notified in the event of an emergency.”
According to the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services, cooking was the leading cause of residential fire injuries in 2015, resulting in four civilian deaths, 80 civilian injuries, 30 firefighter injuries and an estimated $10 million in property damage.
To avoid potentially dangerous situations this season, Chief Lachance recommends that residents follow several safety tips outlined by the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services:
- Stay in the kitchen when boiling, frying, or broiling food.
- Use a timer when baking or roasting and never leave the house while the oven is on.
- Move anything that can catch fire — pot holders, towels, paper or plastic bags — away from your stove top.
- In the event that a fire occurs on a stove top, put a lid on the burner and turn off the heat. Keep doors closed and the appliance off if a fire happens in an oven, broiler or microwave. Never throw water or use a fire extinguisher on a grease fire. Water will only spread the fire and the force of the extinguisher can splash flaming grease out of the pan.
- If your clothing catches fire, STOP, DROP and ROLL to put out the flames. Run cool water on burns or call 911 if the injury is serious.
- If the fire is not quickly snuffed out, leave the house and call the fire department.
- Keep children and pets 3 feet away from the stove to prevent burns.
- Make sure all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working prior to the holiday.
Additionally, the National Fire Protection Association discourages the use of turkey fryers, as the amount and high temperature of the oil used can cause serious burns and injuries, and result in the destruction of property.
Residents who would like more information on holiday cooking safety should contact the Attleboro Fire Department at 508-222-2325.