ATTLEBORO — Chief Scott Lachance and Attleboro Firefighters Local 848 President Paul Jacques would like to provide an update on the novel coronavirus situation within the Attleboro Fire Department.
On Monday, March 30, the department announced that one firefighter had tested positive for COVID-19 and others were awaiting their test results. As of today, six firefighters and one dispatcher had negative test results. Two additional Firefighters have been tested and are awaiting test results.
The firefighter that tested positive remains in isolation and those that are awaiting test results are currently self-quarantining, per Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Massachusetts Department of Public Health guidelines.
“This remains a very fluid situation and we are monitoring things closely as we await more test results,” Chief Lachance said. “While our department has been impacted, it will in no way affect the service we provide our residents and community members.”
Since March 14, the Attleboro Fire Department has transported 53 patients that were screened as potential COVID-19 patients. As of today, 12 of those patients have been confirmed as having a positive case, while others are still awaiting test results.
“The need to immediately identify and isolate positive cases of our firefighters is crucial as our members are on the front lines of this pandemic,” Local 848 President Jacques said. “Local 848 will remain dedicated to this incredibly important task of serving our residents in need while also taking all necessary precautions to prevent the spread of this deadly disease.”
The department announced earlier this week that it is limiting public access to the stations to outside visitors for general, walk-in business until further notice.
In an effort to continue practicing social distancing, all citizens are asked to make all non-emergency reports and inquiries to the department by telephone or email, rather than in person.
The Attleboro Fire Department can be reached at 774-203-1922 or at its website https://attleborofire.com/.
As always, please call 911 for any emergency.
Safety Measures & Precautions
In addition to limiting public access to the lobby, the Attleboro Fire Department has taken the following actions to help prevent the spread of COVID-19
- Practicing social distancing while at work and at home
- Increasing the cleaning and sanitation of common touch points and surfaces
- Encouraging proper self-care and hygiene including frequently washing hands, ensuring bathrooms are stocked with hand washing materials and making cleaning products and sanitizers available
- Ensuring all personnel are fit-tested for masks
- Reviewing Contagious Diseases and Pandemic Planning and Response policies
- Reviewing the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Modifying medical response protocol
- Ensuring the department has ample supplies of PPE for medical responses
These temporary measures will be reviewed on a continuous basis. When changes are necessary, they will be communicated to the public.